Butter may cure all but a whole jar of Nutella with butter is the elixir of happiness.
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- One 13-ounce jar Nutella
• Nutella is a pain to spread on batter. I would have recommended microwaving the jar a bit but the annoying tin foil that seals the Nutella jar will cause sparks and eventually cause a fire :) Be careful or just patiently spread the Nutella
• Ensure the first layer of batter is thicker than the other layers. Since nutella is quite dense and sinks a bit when in the oven, it will cause the cake to fallapart if it’s too close to the bottom of the pan (even if you dust the pan well!)
• Just try not to eat the whole thing.
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan, tapping out any excess flour. In a glass measuring cup, lightly beat the eggs with the vanilla. In a medium bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of flour with the baking powder and salt.
2. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the butter with the sugar at medium-high speed utnil fluffy, about 3 minutes. With the mixer at medium-low speed, gradually beat in the egg mixture until fully incorporated. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, beating at low speed between additions until just incorporated. Continue to beat for 30 seconds longer.
3. Spread one-third of the batter in the prepared pan, then spread half of the Nutella on top. Repeat with another third of the batter and the remaining Nutella. Top with the remaining batter. Lightly swirl the Nutella into the batter with a butter knife. Do not overmix.
4. Bake the cake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 30 minutes. Invert the cake onto a wire rack, turn it right side up and let cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut the cake into slices and serve.
Make ahead: The pound cake can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.