A new found obsession with beets.
My encounters with the beet are few and far in between. Besides confusing them as being big radishes, my thought was always, “what is that dark purple thing at the salad bar with the weird lines? That can not look good. Can we get please get through from the salad line so I can get my chile-cheese baked potato?”
…and just a few weeks ago, a strange curiosity took over and I tried the beet.
And I liked it.
And I liked the freshly roasted beet even more.
- 2 large beets (3 inches in diameter) – trimmed, scrubbed, and washed
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs course ground sea salt
- ¼ cup of fresh feta cheese
- 2-3 handfuls of salad mix (leafy greens, minimal to no lettuce)
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced
- 10 mini-tomatoes, sliced horizontally
- A small handful of toasted walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F and cover a rimmed baking pan with foil.
- Scrub beets and cut off the end and tops of the beets (leave about 2 inches of the stem from the top of the beet). Cut the beet into 4 equal wedges.
- Place beets in baking pan and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Seal with pan with another layer of foil and bake for 50 minutes. Remove cover after 50 minutes and roast for another 30 minutes. To check for doneness, you should be easily able to stick a knife or fork through the beet.
- While the beets cook, prepare the salad dressing. Place all ingredients of the salad dressing in a container with a lid and shake well (normally I use a mason jar but I found empty plastic water bottles work just as well).
- Slice the beets (the skins of beets are edible but if you prefer it without the skin, it should come off fairly easily after being roasted)
- In a large bowl, assemble the salad ingredients and beets. Drizzle with salad dressing (note: please do not use all the salad dressing, use based on your preferences) and enjoy!