This is my lesson learned that 1 cup of chocolate chips should not be substituted with 1 cup of peanut butter chips.
I transported my last package of chocolate chips to DC thinking I wouldn’t miss them back in my little apartment. Big mistake – here I am craving a double chocolate chip muffin with no chocolate chips to be found! A trip to the grocery was purely out of the question – I couldn’t let those 3 lone bananas rot any longer!
For those who love, and I mean, LOVE peanut butter, use 1 cup of peanut butter chips. If you enjoy the peanut butter and chocolate combination, use 1/2 chocolate chips and 1/2 cup peanut butter chips. Otherwise for all those chocolate lovers, bring on the chocolate with 1 full cup.
These muffins are extra moist due to the banana. Don’t let the banana flavor put you off – the banana flavor pairs perfectly with PB and chocolate.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, salt,and baking powder)
2. In a small bowl, combine bananas, oil and egg.
3. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
4. Fold in chocolate chips *see note above about using PB or PB and chocolate
5. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups three fourths full.
Bake at 350 deg F for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.