Using peanut butter as an ingredient in cooking isn’t anything new, but this is the first time I’ve tried it with curry. And it’s brilliant -ecclectic but brilliant. Using string beans in curry is a first too…
No red curry paste? Red chile paste can be used but you’ll sacrifice some of the flavors that come with the curry paste :(
Frozen vegatables, baby.
Adjust the sauce to your taste before adding in the vegatables!
Use chunky peanut butter for more texture. The peanut butter flavor should mellow the curry flavor out – it should not be overpowering.
- Place green beans and broccoli in a pot fitted with a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam 10 minutes, or until tender but crisp. Remove and place into a bowl.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a skillet, and saute onion until tender. Remove and place into same bowl as vegatables.
- Heat another tsp of oil, add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear.
- Add chicken mixture and juices into bowl with vegatables and onion
- In a skillet, mix the chicken broth, peanut butter, honey, soy sauce, chile paste, lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Mix in the vegatables and chicken. Serve over rice. Garnish with green onions and peanuts (if you didn’t use chunky peanut butter).