I’m a huge fan of fried vegatables so when I came across this recipe, I figured why not? Less fat, less calories….what could go wrong? All I should say is, don’t expect it to taste like fried zucchini and maybe you won’t be disappointed. Overall, it’s not bad but it lacks the crunch and greasy goodness that comes with fried foods.
I write this blog as my neighbor is frying something delicious…I may be slightly biased right now.
So why am I providing the recipe? I realize that I’m not always the most health-conscious of eaters…or perhaps a reader will have a more promising recipe to share….or perhaps I’d make it again with the mindset of a “heathier” tasting zucchini chip. If all else fails, dunk in ranch or tzatziki sauce. Yummmm.
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper and salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- Squirt of Sriracha hot sauce
- Ranch dressing or tzatziki sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F.
2. In one small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, pepper, salt, and Parmesan cheese. Place the egg whites and chile sauce in a separate bowl. Whisk gently and dip zucchini slices into the egg white mixture, then coat the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Bake for 6 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn over and bake for another 6 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy